My household has currently been undergoing a Walnut obsession! I’ve made Coffee and Walnut cupcakes, Banana and Walnut muffins and now a Mixed seed and Walnut loaf!
This is recipe if from my trusty book from The Women’s Institute. This book and it’s recipes never let me down. This recipe originally does not call for walnuts. These were my addition as an experiment.
This recipe called for using earthenware flower pots for baking, to recreate the clay ovens that were widely used to bake and can still be found in different parts of the world. Unfortunately I did not have any new earthenware pots that I could use for baking. Therefore had to settle for the boring conventional baking tray!
Watch this space for, as this is a technique of baking that I will defiantly be trying out very soon in the near future.
Makes 2loaves. Preparation time is 20 minutes +proving + 25-30 minutes baking.
225g/8oz strong wholemeal bread flour
225g/8oz strong white bread flour
1 1/4 teaspoons fast action dried yeast
8 tablespoons of mixed seeds toasted.
92g/ 3.5 oz of chopped walnuts. (my addition to the recipe)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 tablespoon runny honey
325ml/ 11fl oz hand-hot water.
For the topping:
1 teaspoon salt, dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water and cooled.
sunflower seeds and linseeds for sprinkling ( I used whole walnuts)
1.Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the middle and pour the sunflower oil, honey and water. Mix to make a soft dough.
2. Turn out on to an un floured work space and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. If using a stand alone mixed, knead the dough until smooth.
3. Divide the dough into two. Shape into a round and then elongate slightly. Or you can divide them into 12 rolls.
4. Place on a slightly oiled baking sheet, cover and prove in a warm place until double in size.
5. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220 degrees C/ 425 degrees F.
6. Brush the dough with the salt water and sprinkle liberally with seeds. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Once browned turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
Please do share and comment, we look forward to your feedback. Happy baking xxx