The Chocolate and Vanilla Marble cake was a childhood staple in my home, it was what I like to think of as a bargain cake, two for the price of one. For me this cake combines the best of the two cake favours out there! Chocolate and Vanilla!
Having run out of baked goodies for customary afternoon mug of coffee, I decided there was no better time then the present to re-visit this childhood favourite.
Prep time 15 mins. Cook time 45-50 mins
6 room temp eggs
12oz caster sugar
120z self raising flour
12oz soften butter
1 teaspoon level baking powder
2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
2 oz coco powder
6 tablespoon hot boiling water.
2 tablespoon milk.
- Preheat the oven to 180degree, and prepare a 8inch cake time by light greasing the bottom, sides and lining the bottom with grease proof baking paper.( this ensures that the cake does not stick to the bottom and comes out easily)
- Beat the butter and sugar till fluffy. Add the flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and eggs and mix well until all the ingredients are we incorporated. Ensure to scrap the side of the bowl and the bottom with a spatula to ensure all the butter and flour is mixed. The batter should have a very slightly runny consistency, if too thick add two tablespoons of milk and stir to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl mix the coco powder with the boiling water and mix well. Add the milk to loosen the mixture.
- Divide the vanilla batter equally into two bowls.
- To one batter add the coco mixture and stir gently until it’s incorporated. You don’t want to stir too hard or too much as this will knock all the air out of the batter.
- Using two large tablespoons, one for the vanilla batter and one for the chocolate batter, scope dollops of each batter in the prepared tin, in a alternating sequences.
- Once all the batter is used up, give the tin a couple of gentle shakes side to side to help get rid of any air pockets and space between the batter. Take a thin and long skewer, starting from the middle of the batter move it in circular motions, up till the edge of the tin. repeat this twice. The cake batter will look as below:
- Bake in pre heated oven for 45mins.until the toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.